Here is my attempt at the omelet thingy. The recipe is from Cafe Flora’s cookbook, and I include it at the bottom of this post.
First you fill a tortilla with a potato/poblano mixture.
Then beat two eggs.
Swirl them around the fry pan.
On the second attempt, really get the eggs spread around; lay tortilla atop as pictured.
Realize it will take two spatulas to flip the non-tortilla side of the omelet onto the tortilla. Search frantically in drawer for second spatula while your omelet screams dramatically, “I’m melting! I’m melting!”
Remember you are a genius and made that side dish of scrambled eggs earlier. Take a chunk of the scrambled eggs and plop it on the gaping hole.
But say it like this.
Make the second omelet-wrapped quesadilla stuffed with roasted potatoes and corn. Make it faster.
Flip it onto a plate. Fire the photographer for taking the following comparison picture.
WHAT’S COOKIN’ 2NITE:
The above, plus: Apple, pear, and caramelized onion tart
Omelet-wrapped quesadilla stuffed with roasted potatoes and corn
1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut in 1/4 inch dice
1 cup corn
2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1 tsp chili powder (or significantly less if your spouse is a candy-ass)
1 tsp salt
3T vegetable oil
1 poblano chile, roasted and roughly chopped
6 (8”) flour tortillas
1-1/2 cups grated pepper jack cheese (or white cheddar if your spouse is a powder puff)
12 large eggs
Pico de gallo salsa
Lime creme fraiche
1. Boil potatoes for 4 minutes; drain
2. Mix potatoes with corn, cumin, chili powder, and salt. toss with 1T oil. spread in single layer on a baking sheet; roast at 375 for 15 minutes
3. Mix potatoes with poblano chili
4. Assemble quesadillas with 1/2 cup potato mixture and 1/4 cup grated cheese; make melty in microwave while you scramble eggs
5. Beat 2 eggs; swirl in NONSTICK SKILLET on medium heat (I used a little oil too). After eggs seem mostly cooked (1 minute or so), flip half the eggs on top of the tortilla; you’re supposed to flip the whole thing and cook on both sides. Good luck with that.
Serve with pico de gallo and lime creme fraiche